Dear Kidcam Families,
I hope you all are staying strong and well during this uncertain time. I know there is so much that is unknown in our world right now, and everything is so fluid, changing almost daily…it’s testing our adaptability and our patience, and I imagine it’s testing yours, as well. And although none of us know what we will face in the next 4-7 weeks, I want you to know that at Kidcam, we are actively preparing for summer camp.
I wanted you to hear from me on what we have been doing since March 16, what we have learned about managing childcare during a pandemic, and how we are adjusting our current summer camp model for this year. With these adjustments comes potential enrollment changes, so I’m urging anyone who thinks they need summer care, to please register and purchase what you need. I know this might be difficult right now, but I do feel we will need to limit our capacity size by camp, and if anything changes with our ability to operate camp, or the need to push start dates back, we will refund whatever isn’t used.
Since March 16, Kidcam has been a partner of Ochsner Health, Louisiana’s largest health care provider, managing the operations of 15 childcare centers for up to 1,500 children of their frontline employees. These locations are currently being led by our Summer Camp Directors and are held in the same locations we host many of our summer camp programs. We have been very fortunate to learn so much during this process. It has allowed us the knowledge to anticipate, adjust and adapt our current business model to what we feel could be enforced throughout the summer and impact how we need to plan to operate.
At Kidcam, I am optimistic that by the end of May (or at least early June) our worlds will hopefully be “back in business.” We are following all state guidelines, and Camps are considered a business able to open in Phase 2. We will continue to monitor these dates by state, and if we must adjust an opening date by site, we will.
But, I have to be realistic. Even if we are able to open and host summer camp, I know that there is a need to proceed with caution in all that we do. So, although we are fortunate to be actively operating programs right now and be educated on so much as it relates to COVID-19 and the steps we must take to keep ourselves and those in our care safe, we know that we, too, have to proceed into summer with major adjustments to our typical summer camp model.
Therefore, Kidcam Camps is making the following changes to our summer camp program for 2020. Based on everything we have learned and implemented throughout our partnership with the Ochsner Health, we recognize what needs to change this year as we plan to open our doors this summer.
I ask for your understanding and patience as we implement new policies and procedures that we feel will keep our campers and staff healthy this summer, as we all face a new way of living post-COVID-19. I also ask for adaptability, as this can still change. These measures allow us to prepare and get ahead of what we feel is coming during a time where “we don’t know what’s really coming.”
Amending Enrollment by Site We are anticipating the need to still be asked to function in a 6’ social distancing environment. If this remains true, we must limit the number of campers and staff at each site. If this changes, we may increase capacity, but we must proceed with a set number to ensure we are able to comfortably distance ourselves throughout the day to the best extent possible.
Consistent Faces The more consistent we are with the same campers and staff throughout the summer, the better our chances are to help limit the spread of any communicable disease at camp.
You registration is confirmed for the weeks you have already purchased. If you know the weeks you need now, we ask you to please let us know so we can hold your space.
No Offsite Field Trips (at least in June; varies by location) The importance of keeping campers & staff as “close to home” as possible helps limit the exposure to things that are out of our control. We can manage the safety and sanitation of our camp worlds as best we can, but when we go outside of our environment, the increased risk multiplies. Given the extreme, cautionary measures we will still face going into summer, we will work to bring more exciting things to camp, and stay on site as much as possible.
We will still plan to go off-site to swim once a week for camp locations that do not have a swimming pool at their location, if this remains an approved activity.
Daily Temperature Checks Campers and staff will receive temperature checks coming into camp each morning. We know this sounds extreme, and by June, we hope that it is, but we feel it’s important to maintain consistency of this operating procedure out of extreme caution for everyone.
Anyone with a temperature of 100+ degrees, will not be allowed at camp. There will also be standard operating questions that will be asked each week as it relates to the current health of campers and their families.
Sanitation Hand Washing and sanitation will become part of our daily schedule. It has always been important, but it will now be part of our schedule. We will also have someone on staff responsible for daily sanitation at each site.
Masks At this time, masks will remain optional, but this may change based on the direction of our state. We encourage anyone who feels more comfortable doing so, to please wear a personal mask.
Securing Weeks and Making Payments
• If you have already secured what you need, either full summer sessions, or individual weeks, please know that you’re all set.
• If you still need to choose your weeks, please let us know what weeks you think you need. As I mentioned, at this point, we will be limiting enrollment each week.
• I know payments are something that might not be an option for your family right now. That’s ok. We will hold these spots you need until May 1 for now. At that point, we might ask for a deposit, but this will be something we will determine as the time gets closer, and we understand the demand for the program, as well as what has changed in the next three weeks.
• We are encouraging families to purchase the full summer session. The less movement we all have between camp programs, the safer we create our camp environment.
o 20% Full Summer Session Discount ends April 30 (this is like getting two weeks for free – so even if you need a week off, this is still the better deal).
o 10% off 3+ weeks goes through May 9th.
o After May 9th, full price tuition will be in effect. If you let us know the weeks you need, but you need to pay week-to-week, we will provide this service only for families who registered prior to this week.
• Refunds will always be possible this summer. Just ask.
We know that so much will change in the next six weeks, and we are hopeful the restrictions we currently face will be eased. We thank you for the understanding of all this. I hope you know that as an industry leader in summer camps, we felt it was necessary to put these policies and procedures in place now so we are prepared for what’s likely to come, and you can plan as best as you can for your family’s summer care needs.
If you have any questions, please call our office at 504-274-1404 or email us at SummersRock@KidcamCamps.com.
Stay safe and be well,
President & CEO Kidcam Camps